Sunday 14 August 2011

My American Dream - Florida

Landing at JFK airport was somewhat surreal...and I couldn't wait to see New York...but I would have to wait another 4 months as my first stop was Jacksonville, Florida!! The only part of New York I actually got to experience that day was Jet Blue’s Terminal 5.  The thing about the airports in America is that all the cool stuff is hidden behind the check-in counters…unlike in South Africa where you could entertain yourself for a good couple of hours at restaurants, book stores etc.  I wish I knew this before I had booked my flight to Jacksonville to depart 13 hours after I landed!! All I had in terminal 5 was a Dunkin’ Donuts and rather uncomfortable seating.  The 8 hours of waiting to check-in felt like the longest of my life, but once I walked through those gates I felt like I had entered an alternative world…I had found the hive of JFK…and I have never felt so overwhelmed.  I couldn’t believe this one terminal, in an airport, was bigger than any shopping centre I had been to in my life.  There was so much going on…so many people…boarding through gates and exiting…a selection of the best shops and restaurants…and everyone seemed to know what they were doing except for me…it was the definition of organized chaos.

I had another 3 hour wait until boarding and the only thing I wanted was food (which would inevitably be my undoing in this country!). I had eaten plane food for 2 days and hadn’t had anything in the last 12 hours…I was starving! For the indecisive person I am…a rather detest the amount of choice America has to offer…it makes a simple task like deciding on what to eat, as painstaking as deciding on what subject you want to major in for your degree!! I eventually settled for a meatball sub…which was more like meatballs on a full loaf of bread…or 3.  I could eat off this thing for days it was so big! Anyway, I went to sit down and take everything in and had this sudden wave of excitement…and pure happiness.  Sometimes you work so hard for something that you feel you may never get to the end…and when you do…and especially when it’s something so important to you…it’s just the most incredible feeling in the world.

Jacksonville, Florida.  I arrived at 11pm on Tuesday Night and had been traveling for 2 days already…needless to say I was exhausted! I was, however, incredibly excited to see my cousin who I last saw about 7 years earlier. It’s great how there are those people in your life (life family and good friends) who just don’t change…time is never a factor…and when you see them it’s like you’ve never been apart! It was great seeing my cousin and the only thing that threw me was her American accent…but hey…she has been living there for about 10 years now.

So the one thing I completely overlooked about Florida was the heat!! I don’t know how Horatio doesn’t sweat more in CSI because it is hectic…like 100 times worse than Durban.  The temperature is at a set 29/30 degrees with the humidity never dropping less than 98%.  It feels like you walking through syrup! However, being America you know that everywhere is kitted out with air-con, which is great!

Florida is one of my favourite states because it was where I had my FIRST everything.  From the food I ate to the shops I went to…the places…everything was just incredible because it was the first time I was experiencing it.  I spent 2 weeks with my cousin and her family and they really gave me the full American experience!

They took me to St. Augustine’s which is one of the oldest towns in America…it was originally a Spanish colony and the town centre has still been maintained with beautiful buildings inspired by great Spanish architecture, and the original Trams that are now used for tours.  It was great to walk around the town and see a little bit of history.

Another fun thing I did was go to the Kennedy Space Centre.  NASA and the space program has been such a huge part of American history and culture and when you go to the place where it all happens you realize why…because it’s something truly amazing.  To see the launch pads where these MASSIVE shuttles get sent into space is hard to wrap your head around.  To learn about the detail of how it all happens...the special gravel they have to use on the road for the beast of machinery (that can take days) to get the shuttle to the actual launch site…to the shuttle itself.  I was fortunate enough to experience what life is like living in the International Space Station and was able to view the ‘workshop’ where they were making more parts to be sent to the Space Station in the next week.  That itself was an unreal experience. I have always been a firm believer that man has never actually walked on the moon…and I don’t buy into that whole ‘moon landing’ moment…but I can say that I am impressed by the technology and the size of these shuttles.  After experiencing the launch simulator…I can safely say that I doubt I would ever want to go to Space…I would most definitely wet my pants.

Things I learned in Florida:
1.      South African beaches are better BUT…their water is so warm!
2.      They fly A LOT of flags in America…and their flags are MASSIVE
3.      In such heat and humidty…guys think it’s cool to wear black socks with slops!
4.      They have drive-thru Chemists and Bottle Stores (I like!)
5.      They have white eggs…like the chocolate ones you get at Easter…weird.
6.      Their bread is ALWAYS soft…which makes me wonder what it’s really made of?
7.      They could really create more jobs if they cut out all the self service!
8.      You’re allowed to ride a motorbike without a helmet…as long as you over 18.
9.      They have free refills on all their soda
10.  They have pizza at an all you can eat Chinese Food Buffet…odd!      

No comments:

Post a Comment